Monday, October 13, 2014

Ah (choo!), Autumn...


I'm writing this blog as a sort of apology to Seaside Goldenrod.  I love it. I love how it cloaks the dunes in bright, vibrant yellow just after autumn's official beginning, just as the sea oat stalks are beginning to turn a darker brown.  Yet I am aware how many folks suffer with seasonal allergies, and I--in my ignorance--have laid some blame at this plant's feet, er, roots. Well, not roots. The culprit is in those pollen-laden bright yellow blossoms. The very blossom that makes Seaside Goldenrod so attractive to my photographer's eye and heart is the exact same one that brings sneezes and sniffles to others, my husband included. I almost hate to admit that I love it.  They don't call it "ragweed" for nothing, right?

Actually, those in the know (and in a minute that will also include you) don't call it ragweed at all. Turns out Seaside Goldenrod and "ragweed" appear similar, and are both members of the aster family, but are at best distant cousins. Ragweed is prolific, putting out (hold your nose here) as many as a billion grains of pollen per plant! Light, easy-to-transport on the wind, ragweed's pollen is responsible for up to half of all cases of hay fever each year. Not so with Seaside Goldenrod. Its pollen is much heavier, and stickier, depending on insects like bees and butterflies to pollinate it rather than seaside breezes.

So go ahead! Take a deep, salty breath! Join me in celebrating this lovely herald of fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment