Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Rainbow Path


In January of 2013, I signed up for a regular emailed newsletter/blog by photographer Kim Manley Ort. I'd found her work while googling the term "contemplative photography" and was inspired by both her artistry and her heart. This month I have treated myself to her four week online course on Simplicity in Photography. The above is one of the images I created in response to one of the course's assignment prompts.

I'd gone to the ocean near the close of day, drawn by beautiful clouds and a rushing sea. And I made the photographs I typically make in these conditions: wide-angled to give honor and voice to the entire landscape. But Kim's prompt invited me to look closer, and give space to space, in this case the reflection of the clouds shimmering in the wave wash. Here, they took on abstract rainbow colors even as the sky dazzled above them. Instead of being merely one small part of a larger, more detailed landscape--at best a supporting cast to sea and sky--the reflections became the subject. I call the image "The Rainbow Path." It reminds me that I do well to reflect on where I place my feet (and my attention) so I don't diminish the very elements that make my life the most beautiful.

For more on Kim's work, or to sign up for her emails, see  http://www.365daysofinspiration.com/blog/

No comments:

Post a Comment